AVIVA Premiership Fixtures Weekend 1-3 December Round 10
After a weekend of drama, great tries, and magnificent plays the AVIVA Premiership is set to grace our weekends again on the first weekend of December.
Round 10 promises to be even more dramatic with these interesting matchups to look forward to.
Wasps v Leicester Tigers - Saturday 2nd December @ 1630hrs
- The Ricoh Arena is set for a spectacle when Wasps host Leicester Tigers on 2nd December. If you live in the Midlands you are either a Wasp or a Tiger; rarely will you see any neutrals. This local rivalry has plenty of history and prestige, as there have been 43 between the two heavyweights in the division. Over this period Tigers have edged out their fierce rivals on 23 occasions. The Wasps have come out on top on 16 occasions. The last time these two met was on 20th May when the Wasps saw out their opponents 21-20 in an unforgettable encounter at the Ricoh Arena. On this occasion, Wasps left it late to clinch the win with a 78th minute try from Josh Basset. This was a huge win for the Wasps as it sealed their place in the Premiership final.
Ahead of the 2nd December crunch match, Wasps boast of a better form losing only once in their last six fixtures. The Tigers have lost twice in six, including round nine’s loss to Worcester. A win for Wasps will see close in the gap with fourth-placed Tigers and just within touching distance of the top three. A win for Tigers will help them keep up the pace with premiership’s table toppers.
On the lineups, Wasps’ boss, Dai Young is expected to name an unchanged side to the side that beat London Irish over the weekend. Ashley Johnson is expected to captain the side with Danny Cipriani also expected to start for the first time since he injured his knee in September.
Sam Harrison will captain the Tigers for this one with Matt Smith and Gareth Owen also expected to start. Tom Brady will look to build on his fitness and form with a place on the starting line up.
Whichever way you look at it this is the match of the round. A win for each and the Midlands bragging rights are at stake.
Exeter Chiefs v Bath Rugby - Saturday 2nd December - Kick off @ 1500hrs
- Champions Exeter will entertain Bath at the Sandy Park on 2nd December. Exeter are in the form of their lives having won all their last six fixtures. Bath are looking good too having won five of their last six matches. They last tasted defeat at Gloucester on 29th October.
Exeter will be looking to clinch a much-needed home win to extend their lead at the top of the Premiership. Third-placed Bath will also head into this with a win on the cards, hoping to consolidate on their position and hopefully leapfrog Saracens into second place.
Exeter has won four of the last five meetings between the two. Exeter also won the last time the two teams met on 31st December last year.
Worcester Warriors v Sale Sharks - Friday 1st December - Kick off @ 1945hrs
- Worcester will host the Sale Sharks at the Sixways on 1st December. Worcester head into this buoyed by their latest win over the Leicester Tigers. They will also be looking to consolidate on their newfound form having now tasted back to back victories after no wins in the first seven games of the season.
The Sharks edged out Northampton on their last timeout. They have had mixed fortune recently, winning three matches out of their last six. The last time these two met at the Sixways, it ended 34-34 in an action-packed encounter.
A home win for Worcester will see them close the gap on tenth placed Sharks on the premiership table. A victory for Sharks might see them rise above Northampton in seventh place.
Round 10 of the Aviva Premiership looks good on paper, and of course, we can all look forward to the showdown at the Ricoh Arena.
The Weekend’s Remaining Fixtures:
Friday 1st December - Kick Off @ 1945hrs
- Northampton Saints v Newcastle Falcons
Saturday 2nd December - Kick Off @ 1500hrs
- Gloucester Rugby v London Irish
Sunday 3rd December - Kick Off @ 1500hrs